Monday, January 20, 2014

Ulster vs Munster, both Winners!

The Munster Bonsai Club hosted a workshop on last Friday and Saturday. Ian Young and Phil Donnelly shared their vast bonsai knowledge through demonstration, tree critique, bonsai anecdotes, one-to-one mentorship and general infectious enthusiasm. The Northern Ireland Bonsai Society is a well established, vibrant bonsai club and it's easy to understand why. While our own club is small and young by comparison, this inspiring workshop I'm sure will be of huge benefit as we move forward. The main thing I think I'll take away from it is an improved approach to tree assessment and critique, and a reinforcement of the need for attention to detail. That, and also that Pines are much more flexible than I would have believed...

Phil, Peter and Piotr discussing pots.

Ian, Mark, Adam and Matt talk bonsai.

Some of the bonsai accessories Phil and Ian brought along.

Phil's demo Pine from Friday night.

Mark and Phil discussing one of Phils Junipers.

Adam working on his Pine while Piotr and Ian work together.

My Pine, styled by Phil. Now my best tree.


Ian and Piotr work on a small Myrtle.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ray, a great weekend indeed. I might steal a few of your photos too :-) I just saw the larch in your last post too, I'd have loved to get my hands on that too lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steal away Ian, That larch is earmarked for the next club night. I reckon Mark & Piotr will have lots of new ideas for it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fantastic time was had by all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, hard to get the mind back on work this week...

      Delete
  4. Hi Ray, will have to rob some photos also, Was a great weekend and looking forward to Feb meeting already. You came out with a great tree that day. Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Looks like you had a great weekend, I saw the jitta's could you let me have further details on them.
    Thanks
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jittas were from Phil. I don't have his contacts, but I'm sure he can be contacted through Ian's blog; http://bonsaieejit.com/contact-me/

      Delete